Singapore, 6 August 2009 --- omy.sg, the bilingual news and interactive web portal by Singapore Press Holdings, will be honouring some of Singapore's top youth bloggers on Monday, 10 August 2009.
The winners of the Y Bloggist Competition (http://yzone.omy.sg/ybloggist) and the EASB (East Asia Institute of Management) Best Youth Blog category in the Singapore Blog Awards 2009 (http://sgblgawards.omy.sg) will be announced. The event at The Salon @ The National Museum of Singapore is a prelude to the Singapore Blog Awards 2009 prize presentation later this month.
The Y Bloggist Competition, launched in March this year, is organised to encourage young people to express their creativity using new media platforms. The six-month long contest requires bloggers to accomplish a series of new media tasks such as creating their own vodcasts and podcasts.
Their entries were judged by a panel including polytechnic lecturer cum former deejay Danny Yeo and Project Superstar female winner Tan Diya. The top blogger among the top 20 contestants will be given the "The Y Bloggist 部落星人王" title on 10 August and he or she will walk away with prizes worth more than $2000.
One of the top five finalists of the Y Bloggist Competition is 23-year-old Kevin Soh Kian Huat, a university undergraduate.
Kevin said:“My blog has gained more media exposure after I joined the competition and I have challenged myself to blog in varying formats like podcasts and vodcasts. To finish the final vodcast entry, I actually went without sleep for 36 hours!"
As for the EASB Best Youth Blog category, it recognises bloggers under the age of 16 who create regular and interesting content. The finalists are shortlisted from over 1500 blogs. The eventual winner is determined by a panel of professional judges (constituting 70% of the total score) while the remaining 30 percent comes from online votes.
Finalists of the EASB Best Youth Blog category include Xavier Lur,15, Singapore’s top Twitter user (http://TechXav.com) with over 80,000 followers and Jian Xin Min, eight, who is likely the youngest blogger in Singapore (http://www.x5dj.com/jianxingmin).
Associate Editor Ms Lee Kuan Fung of omy.sg said: “omy.sg has always been active in engaging youths. Youth-oriented awards and competitions are ways we interact with our audience and keep our content relevant to their needs.”
The Y Bloggist Competition is sponsored by The Heeren Shops and Creative Technology Ltd and Supporting Media include YOUTH.sg and pulse.sg.
The Singapore Blog Awards 2009 is sponsored by the East Asia Institute of Management (EASB), United International Pictures (UIP), National Heritage Board (NHB), Asia Web Direct, Koka, ST701, HTC and Play Smart Pte. Ltd. It is supported by local search and directory service, Rednano and two blog networks, Advertlets.com and Ping.sg.
Please see attached list of 10 Y-Bloggist Finalists and 10 EASB Best Youth Blog finalists, and the programme for the event on 10 August. Kindly contact Alvin Lim of omy.sg at 6319 2490 to arrange for media interviews.
Newspapers and Magazines
In Singapore, SPH publishes 17 newspaper titles in four languages. Every day, 2.9 million individuals or 79 per cent of people above 15 years old, read one of SPH's news publications. SPH also publishes and produces more than 100 magazine titles in Singapore and the region, covering a broad range of interests from lifestyle to information technology.
Internet and Mobile
Beyond print, the Internet editions of SPH newspapers enjoy over 150 million pageviews with 9 million unique visitors every month. Apart from SPH AsiaOne portal, SPH's online and new media initiatives include an online marketplace for products, services and employment, ST701; local search and directory engine, rednano.sg; Stomp (Straits Times Online Mobile Print), a portal that connects, engages and interacts with readers on the Web and via mobile phone messaging; omy, a bilingual news and interactive portal and The Straits Times RazorTV, a free access interactive webcast service offering live chat shows and video-on-demand clips.
SPH has a 20 per cent stake in MediaCorp TV Holdings Pte Ltd, which operates free-to-air channels 5, 8, U and TV Mobile, and a 40 per cent stake in MediaCorp Press Limited, which publishes the free newspaper, Today. In the radio business, SPH has an 80 per cent stake in SPH UnionWorks Pte Ltd, which operates entertainment stations Radio 100.3 FM in Mandarin and Radio 91.3 FM in English.
In addition, SPH has ventured into outdoor advertising through its wholly-owned subsidiary, SPH MediaBoxOffice Pte Ltd, Singapore’s largest outdoor motion display advertising network media company.
SPH owns and manages Paragon, the prime retail and office complex in the heart of Orchard Road, Singapore's main shopping belt. SPH's wholly-owned subsidiary, Times Development Pte Ltd, is also developing a 43-storey upmarket residential condominium, Sky@eleven, at Thomson Road.
Visit www.sph.com.sg for more information