The Challenge recognises and rewards winemakers who are making the highest quality wines. Judging is based on wine quality and the extent to which the wine is representative of its category. Awards to be given out for each category are classified into Best Wine, Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. All the wines were judged by a panel of experts who are established names in the wine community during closed door blind tastings on 30 and 31 July at Conrad Centennial Singapore.
The Gold, Silver & Bronze medal winners and the Best Wine in their respective wine categories will be announced at a Prize Presentation cum Gala Dinner on 3 August 2007 (Friday) at Conrad Centennial Singapore, Golden Peony Restaurant, 7.30pm.
By invitation only, it will be a formal, elegant evening of fine food and wines. It will be attended by the “Who´s Who” of the wine community.
The full results will be published in Lianhe Zaobao’s wine supplement on 17 August 2007, and in the Wine Review Annual magazine on 25 October 2007.
The Best Wine list will be made available to other media on the prize presentation cum gala dinner.
Held in conjunction with this wine challenge are two not to be missed wine events for the public:
1) Singapore´s Biggest Wine Tasting Event - Both novices and connoisseurs can savour all the 376 participating wine labels, including this year´s Gold, Silver, Bronze and Best Wine Award medal wines on 5 August 2007 at Conrad Centennial Singapore, Ballroom.
200 participating readers who paid $35nett per person and 100 invited guests will attend the wine tasting event. They will get to taste these wines together with the western delicacies prepared by Conrad Centennial Singapore.
There will be a public voting for the audience´s favourite wines. Results will be tabulated and released in Lianhe Zaobao on 6 August 2007. What´s more, there is a lucky draw where the grand winner walks away with a 4D3N wine tour for 2 to Australia! Other prizes include Speigelau Wine Glass sets & Kadeka Wine Openers.
2) Exciting 3-Day Wine Fair for Wine Lovers - Enjoy a comprehensive array of wines and wine-related products, refreshing insights and tips on wine appreciation, special buys and the chance to win great lucky draw prizes at a wine fair on 17 - 19 August 2007 at VivoCity, East Court, Level 1.
Members of the public can visit the official website for more details: www.zbwinechallenge.com.sg
Said Mr Ch’ng Poh Tiong, The Wine Review’s publisher and Lianhe Zaobao’s wine columnist, “The Lianhe Zaobao Wine Review Challenge is into its ninth year. The main goal of the Challenge has always been to offer to the wine loving public a solid body of award-winning wines that have been judged as the best in their categories by an expert panel. In providing this invaluable service to the public, the Challenge also recognises, encourages and acknowledges winemakers who are making the highest quality wines. This surely is a win-win situation for both the public and the wine producers.”
Said Mr Lim Jim Koon, Chief Editor, Lianhe Zaobao
《早 报》与《葡萄酒评论》杂志共同筹办“葡萄酒品鉴会”，已迈入 第九年。现在，这场品鉴会已成为新加坡爱酒人一年一度的盛事。 每一年都有酒商积极响应，把三、四 种佳酿 送来评选。葡 萄酒有别于其他饮料， 即使同个品 牌， 不同的土壤气 候的变化， 使得每一个年份的产品，同中有异。有 了酒商的协力引进， 我们才能喝到更多种不同风味的美酒。
Our panel of judges
1) CH´NG Poh Tiong - A lawyer by training, Ch’ng is the publisher of The Wine Review, South-East Asia´s oldest wine magazine (since 1991) and the world´s first annual Guide to Bordeaux in Chinese (since 2000). His articles have also appeared in other magazines, including l´Amateur de Bordeaux of France, United Kingdom´s Harper´s, World of Fine World, and Decanter, for which he also writes a column. Ch´ng is also the wine columnist for Lianhe Zaobao. His articles have also appeared in China´s Food & Wine, Vino Vogue, Wine in China magazines, and in Sommelier India.
2) Ignatius CHAN - Chan graduated from the Singapore Hotel Association Training and Educational Centre (SHATEC) in Food and Beverage service in 1987 and returned to join the Mandarin Oriental Hotel which had sponsored his course. In 2001, Chan was voted "Joint Food & Beverage Men of the Year 2000" by Wine & Dine magazine. In 2004, Chan left Les Amis and founded his own restaurant “Iggy´s”. He has been a judge of the annual Lianhe Zaobao Wine Review Challenge since its inauguration in 1999. Chan is also a judge for Decanter World Wine Awards.
3) Don TAY - Tay has had very wide experience in the supermarket, wine distribution and wine shop trade for some three decades. Indeed, he is the proprietor of his own wine shops, Bacchus, one situated in the basement of Paragon on bustling Orchard Road in Singapore and another within Isetan Departmental Store in Kuala Lumpur´s stunning Petronas Twin Tower. Tay is also proprietor of Bacchus@Boathouse, the wine bar with the incredible view in the historic Boathouse facing the Singapore River and the open sea (opposite Fullerton Hotel).
For more information, please contact:
May Chan (Ms)
Promotions & Events
Singapore Press Holdings
DID: 6319 1134
Hp: 9847 1226
DID: 6319 2261
Mobile: 9798 6097
Issued by Singapore Press Holdings Limited
Co. Regn. No: 198402868E
About Singapore Press Holdings Ltd
Newspapers and Magazines
Main board-listed Singapore Press Holdings Ltd (SPH) is the leading media company in Singapore, delivering news and information through print, Internet and broadcasting platforms. In Singapore, it publishes 14 newspapers in four languages. Every day, 2.7 million individuals or 83 percent of people above 15 years old, read one of SPH’s news publications. SPH also publishes over 90 magazine titles in Singapore and the region, covering a broad range of interests from lifestyle to information technology.
Internet and Mobile
Beyond print, the Internet editions of SPH newspapers enjoy over 100 million pageviews with 6 million unique visitors every month. Apart from SPH AsiaOne portal, SPH´s other online and new media initiatives include a revolutionary mobile advertising and information service, ZapCode; recruitment and job search service, ST701; and STOMP (Straits Times Online Mobile Print), a portal that connects, engages and interacts with readers on the Web and via mobile phone messaging.
SPH has a 20 percent stake in MediaCorp TV Holdings Pte Ltd, which operates free-to-air channels 5, 8, U and TV Mobile, and a 40 percent stake in MediaCorp Press Pte Ltd, which publishes the free newspaper, Today. In the radio business, SPH has a 80 percent stake in SPH UnionWorks Pte Ltd, which operates entertainment stations Radio 100.3 in Mandarin and Radio 91.3 in English.
In addition, SPH has ventured into outdoor advertising through its wholly-owned subsidiary, SPH MediaBoxOffice Pte Ltd, Singapore’s largest outdoor motion display advertising network media company, and a 35 percent stake in TOM Outdoor Media Group, a leading outdoor advertising company in China.
SPH owns and manages Paragon, the prime retail and office complex in the heart of Orchard Road, Singapore’s main shopping belt. SPH’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Times Development Pte Ltd, is also developing a 43-storey upmarket residential condominium, Sky@eleven, at Thomson Road.
For more information, please visit the SPH website: www.sph.com.sg.