Singapore, 19 April 2017 - Singapore Press Holdings Limited (SPH) clinched eight awards at the Asian Media Awards 2017. The awards were presented this evening at the Publish Asia 2017 Gala Dinner by the World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (WAN-IFRA) in Kuala Lumpur.
The Straits Times (ST), the English-language flagship daily of SPH, swept seven awards, including Gold for Best In Design (Newspaper Overall Design). ST has taken a modern look since its redesign in 2015. There is an instinctively designed feel to the paper and there is good display of high-quality photography and art throughout the paper.
ST was also recognised in the following categories:
- Gold for Best In Design (Newspaper Front Page Design). Joseph Schooling's historic win for Singapore at the Rio Olympics was captured succinctly and boldly in one picture and one word. The projection is unusual and powerful, and was designed to grab eyeballs.
- Gold for Best In Editorial Content (Newspaper Breaking News Article) for a story on last year's terror attacks in Jakarta. ST Indonesian Bureau Chief Francis Chan was among the first journalists to arrive at the scene of the attack, rushing over to the spot which was a few hundred metres away from a Starbucks cafe, where the first suicide bomber struck. Being able to get to "ground zero" before the police sealed the area proved vital, as it gave his reports a distinct edge which was discernible in ST's coverage of the attacks. ST's network of correspondents in Malaysia and the Philippines also provided a wider perspective.
- Bronze for Best In Editorial Content (Newspaper Feature Article) for its feature article - Disruption from Western Media to Singapore Context. The team behind this feature had to translate reports, warnings and chatter about disruption emanating largely from western media to the Singapore context, and find out what they mean for Singapore's economy. They also had to do so in such a way that help readers understand what's ahead. The series has been published as a book, "Disruption: What Lies Ahead", by Straits Times Press and is available at leading bookstores for S$24.61(incl GST) and at www.stpressbooks.com.sg
ST also bagged two awards in photojournalism. They include:
- Bronze for Best in Infographics (Newspaper Infographics) for Engineering Feats at Pasir Panjang a Model for Tuas. Months in the making, ST's infographics team spent time in building the step-by-step infographic, from ground-up 3D modelling to hand-drawing to layout and design. The article's text were also carefully wrapped around the visuals to ensure the images take centre-stage.
- Silver for Best in Photojournalism (Feature Photography) for "Home Sweet Home Birth" where Executive Photographer Kua Chee Siong displayed professionalism and sensitivity when photographing the live birth of Ms Katherine Tan-Sinha's baby in the comfort of Ms Tan-Sinha's three-room flat.
Mr Warren Fernandez, Editor-in-Chief of SPH's English, Malay, & Tamil Media Group and Editor of The Straits Times, said: "We are deeply honoured by these awards from a world association of our peers in the journalistic field. They are recognition of our efforts to transform our newsrooms into fully multimedia news providers, serving our readers' needs for the latest news presented in new ways that they value and enjoy."
- Bronze for Best in Photojournalism (Feature Photography) for "Art Gets Seriously Fun" where ST Executive Photographer Ong Wee Jin created an interesting visual by capturing an image of streaking lights radiating outwards from the centre of an art installation titled "Crystal Universe", which is on display at ArtScience Museum's permanent show of digital arts.
The Peak Selections: Gourmet & Travel, a publication of The Peak by SPH Magazines Pte Ltd (SPH Magazines), won a Gold for Best in Design (Magazine Overall Design) for its Issue 19.The Peak Selections: Gourmet & Travel magazine is an award-winning and authoritative guide for those with discerning palates. The stylish quarterly publication offers insider and expert knowledge on food and travel, reports on the latest happenings and trends in the gourmet dining scene and gives recommendations on home entertaining with class. The magazine clinched Bronze for the same award last year. It also received Food Media of the Year at the Magazine Publishers Association of Singapore Awards 2015 as well as two Awards of Excellence in the Cover and Cover Story, and Photo-Report categories, and Gold for Photography in General in the 6th International Creative Media Awards. Mr Loh Yew Seng, CEO of SPH Magazines, said: "We are delighted that The Peak Selections: Gourmet & Travel magazine has won another prestigious award at the Asian Media Awards. This would reinforce the publication's focal position as an esteemed and authoritative read in the gourmet dining sector, delivering quality and robust content for our readers and advertisers."WAN-IFRA's 16th Asian Media Awards aim to promote the highest publishing standards in the fields of newspaper and magazine design, infographics, printing, editorial content, marketing, community service and photojournalism.Please download hi-res images from https://we.tl/uql69yb6yk Issued by Singapore Press Holdings Ltd
Co. Registration. No. 198402868EFor more information, please contact:Deror Wong (Mr)Assistant ManagerCorporate Communications & CSRSingapore Press Holdings LimitedDID: 6319 1226E-mail: email@example.comAbout Singapore Press Holdings Ltd
Incorporated in 1984, main board-listed Singapore Press Holdings Ltd (SPH) is Asia’s leading media organisation, engaging minds and enriching lives across multiple languages and platforms.
The English/Malay/Tamil Media group comprises the print and digital operations of The Straits Times, The Business Times, The New Paper, Berita Harian and their respective student publications. It also includes subsidiaries Tamil Murasu Ltd, which publishes Tamil Murasu and tabla!; book publishing arm Straits Times Press; SPH Data Services, which licenses the use of the Straits Times Index in partnership with the Singapore Exchange and FTSE-Russell Ltd; financial data company ShareInvestor; the two English stations of SPH Radio - Kiss92 and ONE FM 91.3 and SPH Golf (including SPH Pacom Ltd).
The Chinese Media group publishes three Chinese newspapers in print and digital format - Lianhe Zaobao, Lianhe Wanbao and Shin Min Daily News; four student weeklies - zbCOMMA, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Up Junior and Thumbs Up Little Junior, and ZBBZ Newsgazine. It also operates SPH Radio's Chinese radio station, UFM100.3, and Focus Publishing, which produces a range of books and magazines including U-Weekly.
SPH's other new media initiatives include AsiaOne, Stomp, zaobao.sg, zaobao.com and SPH Razor.
On an average day, 2.5 million* individuals or 59 per cent of people above 15 years old, read one of SPH's news publications in print copies or one of our digital platforms.
(* Nielsen Media Index 2016, Monday-Sunday, read any SPH newspapers in print or digital format)
SPH Magazines, SPH's wholly-owned subsidiary, publishes and produces more than 100 magazine titles and has various online sites, like hardwarezone.com, herworldplus.com and luxuryinsider.com in Singapore and the region, covering a broad range of interests from lifestyle to information technology. It has also invested in digital newsstand Magzter.
SPH also provides out-of-home (OOH) advertising options where it manages large format digital screens and static billboards at key locations in the Central Business District, Orchard Road, City Fringe as well as major heartland hubs.
SPH Buzz is a modern retail convenience chain with a network of stores around the island.
SPH has a 20 per cent stake in MediaCorp TV Holdings Pte Ltd, which operates free-to-air channels 5, 8 and U, and a 40 per cent stake in MediaCorp Press Limited, which publishes the free newspaper, Today.
SPH REIT is a Singapore-based REIT established to invest in a portfolio of income-producing real estate primarily for retail purposes. SPH REIT comprises Paragon, a premier upscale retail mall and medical suite/office property in Orchard Road and The Clementi Mall, a mid-market suburban mall in the centre of Clementi town.
The Seletar Mall, located in Sengkang, is SPH's latest retail development. This property is a potential asset to be injected into SPH REIT. SPH’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Times Development Pte Ltd, also developed a 43-storey upmarket residential condominium, Sky@eleven, at Thomson Road.
SPH’s online classifieds include the leading online marketplace for jobs (STJobs, FastJobs), property (STProperty), cars (STCars) and general classifieds (STClassifieds,Trezo), sgCarMart and StreetSine.
SPH's regional joint venture online classifieds business has a number of leading online classifieds sites in the region.
Events and Exhibitions
Sphere Exhibits, Sphere Conferences, Exhibits Inc and Bizlink Exhibition Services organise innovative consumer and trade events and exhibitions as well as large scale conferences in Singapore and the region.
SPH has a 22 per cent stake in preschool and enrichment provider MindChamps.
For more information, please visit www.sph.com.sg